Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Around the Bay

I went to Hamilton for the weekend to run a 30k race, my first 30k race, but it was still part of my training. After having the past couple of weeks with my calf pain I wasn't really sure how this would play out. I rested a lot more the past week and continued to ice and stretch it. After my Thursday night's speed workout, which I finally did all of, I felt much better and I wasn't planning to run anymore until race day.

I have heard a lot of different stories about running Around the Bay (btw it is older than Boston), and I was given lots of little hints about what to expect at each mark along the route. All of the guys I run with were also doing the race so even though it was not at home it did make it a lot easier and gave it that homey feel to it. A lot of them, myself included, took a bus trip there that was organized by one of the local running groups from Ottawa. The bus trip included the ride there and back plus a hotel room for the night. It was nice to not have to worry about too much and to just focus on the run.

My plan for this race was to feel good at the end and to try and maintain a 5min pace throughout. I was feeling really good the day of the race and excited to be there. I was under that pace for the first little while thinking I will slow down once I got out of the crowds of people, but the pace I was at, which was about a 4:30-4:40 for the first half, felt natural for me and I didn't really notice until the 10k mark when they posted the split time up along the route. One problem I had along the route was not taking water at the first 2 water stations, had I known that after those first 2 ones there wouldn't have been one for about 8k I probably would have taken some, but I got over it and decided to stop at each one after that, even if it was just a sip. The other part I wasn't prepared for was "the hill", now this isn't just any hill, this hill goes on and on and then on some more. I really had to say a few choice words going up that hill to just get me to the top. This hill is also at the 26k mark of the 30k run, so you're not quite as energetic as you were when you first started. Once I finally got to the top I had to walk a bit to refocus myself and to breath again. I loved coming into Copps Coliseum I think that was one of my favourite parts not only because of the crowds but also because the finish line was right there. I can't say I would do it again (I may) but I am glad I ran it. Oh and I got a silver medal for finishing in under 2:30:00

Here are my stats from this race:
2:22:21 with a 4:46 pace
639 out of 5702 runners
19/371 females 30-34 years
88/2684 females
46:11 10k split
1:10:22 15k split
1:34:41 20k split

No comments:

Post a Comment